These low carb, gluten free breakfast muffins are so easy to make and a great way to hide veggies in for the little ones (and sometimes spouses). They are loaded with vitamins and healthy fats to give you a great start of the day and each muffin only contain 5 grams of carbs for your low carb or ketogenic diet. I make them with bacon, onion and spinach, but frankly, you can throw whatever leftovers you have in your freezer. Being on a real food diet can be time consuming especially in the morning when you can’t go anymore for a quick cereal or a piece of toast, so making breakfast ahead of time is a great time saver. So whether you are gluten free, low carb or trying to get into ketosis, these muffins are for you!
Here is how I made my low carb breakfast muffins
Makes about 12 muffins
I preheated the oven to 375F
I added my eggs into a mixer.
Then carefully added the baking powder and coconut flour. I mixed it well together making sure there were no clumps. I let the dough stand for at least 5 minutes so the coconut flour can thicken up a little. (If the dough ends up too thick, add another egg)
In the meanwhile I prepared my filling and chopped up bacon, red onion, spinach and basil
I cooked the bacon until nice and crispy, then removed from the pan and added the onion. I like to cook the onion down a little before I add the greens. When everything is ready and the spinach is nice and mushy I added everything into the bowl along with the cup of cheese (I normally use whatever cheese I have on hand). Salt and pepper to your taste.
I mixed everything together with a spatula making sure the filling is evenly distributed throughout the dough.
Lined my muffin tin and grease it up to prevent the muffins from sticking.
Scooped up the dough into even portion into the muffin tin, about 3/4th full.
I baked it in the oven for 20 minutes or until the top has started to brown.
There you have it, easy low carb breakfast muffins you can make in bulk and enjoy the rest of the week. You can even mix up the filling so it feels like you have more variety.
Let cool down a little before you eat it to prevent tongue burning, it will be hard to resist!
- 8 eggs
- 1/4 cup full fat coconut milk
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2/3 cup coconut flour
- 1 cup shredded cheese
- 1/4 cup diced red onion
- 4 strips bacon diced into cubes
- 1 1/2 cup spinach
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 375F
- Mix together the eggs and coconut milk
- Slowly add the coconut flour and the baking powder
- Let the dough sit for 5 minutes to allow the coconut flour to thicken up the mixture
- Chop up your bacon, onion, spinach and basil
- Cook the bacon on the pan until crispy then remove from pan
- In the bacon grease (can remove a little if too much) cook the onion until softened up
- Add the spinach and basil and cook until soft
- Add the cheese, bacon, onion, spinach and basil to the dough and mix together with a spatula
- Fill up your greased muffin tin about 3/4 full
- Bake in the oven for 20 minutes