How to roast a juicy chicken with crispy skin is quite simple. Roasted chicken might sound intimidating at first but it is among the most simple weekend dinners I make. The only thing it needs is time. This is normally when I indulge in a potato with my chicken, nothing beats salted sweet potato wedges to go with a juicy chicken so this meal is never more then once a month or even every other month as I can’t help myself.
The first thing I did was to preheat my oven to 450°F
In order to get the skin crispy I wiped it down with a paper towel. If the skin is damp it will not crisp up.
I cut down 4 cloves of garlic in very rough pieces. There was no need to chop them up as they were going into the chicken.
Then I gently inserted the garlic and half a stick of butter up the chicken’s rear (out of respect of the bird). Or just stuff it in there, whatever your method is, it will work!
I gave the chicken a generous helping of salt and pepper and about 1/2 tsp of dried rosemary. This will taste amazing on the crispy skin. Rosemary is my favorite spice to go with chicken. If I have fresh rosemary on hand it would go in with the filling as well. Unfortunately I was out this time.
I then add a half a cup of water into the pan. I like to use the juices to make a gravy to go with the meal and the water helps keep the juices from sticking to the pan.
That’s it for preparation. I put the chicken in 450°F oven for 15 minutes. During those 15 minutes I dusted off my elementary school math. As I have said before I don’t like to stick my meat with thermometer even though it is a more precise method, I’m paranoid over all the juices to leave the meat if I do, so I use timing instead. For chicken the formula is 15 minutes at 450°F then lower the temperature to 375°F and cook the bird 20 minutes per pound. That made 79 minutes for my 3.95 lbs chicken. (20*3.95=79). Now you can never say again that math is useless! I have made my chicken this way for years and the end result is always juicy chicken with crispy skin that is perfectly cooked.
A gourmet dinner in just a few simple steps. And don’t forget to enjoy the crispy skin with all it’s delicious animal fat!
- 1 whole chicken
- 4 cloves garlic
- 4 tbsp real grass fed butter
- 1/2 - 1 tsp dried rosemary
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup water
- Preheat oven to 450F.
- Dab the chicken dry with a paper towel - this will make the skin crispy.
- Roughly chop the garlic cloves in half to open them up.
- Insert the butter and garlic into the chicken.
- Rub the salt, pepper and rosemary on the skin of the chicken.
- Pour the 1/2 cup of water into the pan.
- Insert the chicken into the oven for 15 minutes.
- Lower the heat to 375F and cook the chicken for 20 minutes pr/pound.
- Let sit for 10 minutes before carving.
- If you aren't sure how to do the math, my chicken was 3.95 lbs so I simply did 20*3.95=79. So I knew that my chicken needed to be in the oven for 79 minutes after the 15 minutes on high heat.