I am going to show you how to cook a hard boiled egg in a few simple steps. Eggs are amazingly versatile for both breakfast, snacks or an ingredient in a salad. Not to mention all the health benefits you reap when it comes to eggs. If you aren’t sure why you should be eating eggs everyday, here is a great article about the health benefits of eggs.
I started with 12 pastured eggs. I always try to go with pastured, if I can’t get free ranged then omega 3 enriched organic eggs.
I arranged the eggs in single layer in a large pot.
I made sure to cover the eggs with at least an inch or two of water. If an egg starts floating it has gone bad.
I added a half a teaspoon of salt to the pot. The salt is not for flavor this time, it is to make the eggs easier to peel.
I turned the burner on high to bring the water to boil. As soon as it started to boil I removed it from heat for a few seconds. I then reduced the heat to low and let the eggs simmer for one more minute.
I then removed the pot from heat and covered with the lid. This will finish the hard boiling process. I let them sit like this for 12 minutes.
After the 12 minutes are up (I always use a timer so I don’t overcook the eggs) I removed the eggs with a slotted spoon and placed them in a bowl of ice water to stop the cooking process. If you have fewer eggs you are boiling, it is easier to just run cold water over the eggs in the pot.
That’s it, you now know how to cook a hard boiled egg! This is so easy and a great addition to so many recipes or a on the go power snack.
- 12 Eggs
- 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
- Arrange the eggs in a single layer in a saucepan or a pot
- Cover with at least an inch or two of water
- Add half a teaspoon of salt to the water
- Turn the burner on high and bring the eggs to boil
- As soon as they start to boil remove from heat for a few seconds
- Reduce heat to low
- Return the pan to the burner and let simmer for one more minute
- Remove pan from heat and cover
- Let the eggs sit for 12 minutes
- Remove the eggs with a slotted spoon and place in a bowl of ice water