Chocolate Covered Ice Cream Bites
I have to admit, I had a lot of fun with these. Recently I came across fun shaped ice cube forms at IKEA which I had to have! I knew that even though I don’t need them for ice cubes, there are other fun things I can do with them like making chocolate covered ice cream bites. I used my heart shaped form for this one since fathers day is coming up.
I started off with making a batch of no cook homemade triple berry ice cream. You will not need the whole thing for this recipe, so you can either scale it down or just use what you need and put the rest of the ice cream in your freezer for a later treat.
I scooped up the ice cream into the heart shaped ice cube form making sure to not fill it up completely.
Then I put the form into the freezer overnight. I would think that 2 hours in the freezer should be enough, just make sure they are solid enough to pop out without melting on you. The day after I very easily popped them out of the form as they were frozen solid.
I then put them back into the freezer while I made my chocolate so they would stay frozen. I used 3.5 oz of 70% dark chocolate cause I wanted them a little sweeter. Use darker for more health benefits. I broke them up into little pieces and put in a microwave safe bowl. I added 2 tablespoons of coconut oil and nuked in the microwave stirring every 30 seconds. I use coconut oil because it becomes solid when it gets into contact with something cold so it is perfect for chocolate covered ice cream bites.
I made sure my chocolate was nice and smooth and then let it sit on the counter for about 10-15 minutes to let it cool. If the chocolate starts to become solid, your house is too cold and you have to bring the chocolate to a warmest room of your home.
I made sure with a taste test of course that my chocolate was cool enough to start dipping my ice cream hearts into it. I transferred the chocolate to a smaller bowl so I could submerge the ice cream bites. I stuck a kebab stick into the hearts for the dipping.
If you want to cover your ice cream bites with something you have to work very quickly as they harden very fast. I sprinkled mine with a bit of sea salt as I’m a big fan of dark chocolate and salt, and I know my husband is too.
Either eat immediately, or freeze for a later day.
Use the leftover chocolate as a topping on your ice cream as a quick harden chocolate shell. If you put the chocolate in the fridge, all you have to do is to nuke it for a bit in the microwave and it will soften up again.
- A batch of triple berry ice cream
- 3.5 oz dark chocolate 70% or higher
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- seasalt or nuts for finish (optional)
- Scoop your ice cream into an ice cube form and put in the freezer for 2 hours or longer.
- Pop the ice cream shapes out of the ice cube forms and put back into the freezer while you make your chocolate.
- Mix together the chocolate and coconut oil in a microwave safe bowl.
- Nuke in the microwave stirring every 30 seconds.
- When chocolate is smooth, let it cool down for 10-15 minutes.
- Dip each bite into the chocolate using either a stick or a spoon.
- Quickly sprinkle with sea salt or nuts of your choice before the chocolate hardens, or leave them naked.
- Coconut oil is the best option of oil as it is very saturated which means it will solidify when it gets into contact with the cold ice cream bites.