Cauliflower Rice a Great Alternative to Rice
If you miss rice in your diet, then cauliflower rice is a great alternative. It’s quick and easy to make, very low carb and to my taste, even better flavor then rice. You can spice them up however you want. Since I have little kids in my household spicy is not an option for us, but a little pinch of cayenne pepper might give it the kick you are looking for.
Here’s what I did.
As always, one of my favorite spice is garlic, so I chopped up 3 cloves of garlic.
Then I used my nifty little chopping device to chop up half a yellow onion in small pieces.
I then roughly cut up the cauliflower and cleaned it off the stem. The Kitchn has a great tutorial on how to cut a head of cauliflower.
Then I pulsed the cauliflower in my food processor until it had the consistency of rice.
I melted 2 tablespoons of coconut oil over medium heat. I’ve used other fats before like butter and olive oil, but to me the coconut oil gives the best flavor.
I added the onion and garlic to my pan and fried for about 2 minutes until it reached a golden color. You don’t want the onion or garlic to start darkening up, if it does, lower your heat.
Then I added the cauliflower, salt, pepper and about a half a teaspoon of garlic powder.
I covered the pan and let it simmer for about 10 minutes, stirring it up a couple of times to make sure the cauliflower rice didn’t burn.
That’s it, a whole head of cauliflower seems enough for 4 adults, I love this side dish as an alternative to rice in many dishes, sometimes I will change up the spices depending on the dish. It works especially well with cream cheese sauces!
- 1 Head cauliflower
- 1/2 Yellow onion
- 3 Cloves garlic
- 2 Tbsp coconut oil
- 1/2 Tsp garlic powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Pre heat a pan to medium heat.
- Chop the onion and garlic in small pieces.
- Roughly chop up the cauliflower and remove from stem.
- In a food processor pulse the cauliflower pieces until it resembles the size of rice.
- Melt the coconut oil on the pan.
- Add the onion and garlic and stir together for about 2 minutes.
- Add the cauliflower, garlic powder, salt and pepper and mix well together.
- Cover the pan and let simmer for 10 minutes stirring a couple of times to prevent the rice from burning.